In suicide pact, teenage lovebirds jump before train

NAGPUR: Two teenage lovebirds ended their life by throwing themselves before a train on Nagpur- Itarsi section near Martin Nagar level crossing probably in the wee hours of Monday. The incident came to fore in the morning when a caller alerted city police control room. The cops and family members are, however, still uncertain about the reason behind the drastic decision.

Respective family members identified the bodies of Jeetendra Thakur, alias Munna (18), and his girlfriend Pooja Swami (14) after Jaripatka police contacted them. The couple had left their bike parked near the tracks. The documents of the vehicle found with the bike helped cops trace the respective families.

Jeetendra was a student of commerce stream in Standard XI. Pooja had dropped out of school last year but had recently enrolled herself in the ninth standard at a local school. According to members of Thakur family, Jeetendra may have met Pooja at Tumsar in Bhandara during his SSC examination.

The familiarity bloomed into an affair over a period of last one year. Jeetendra’s sister Chandni knew about her brother’s crush on the girl he had met at Tumsar. Pooja’s elder brother Pawan earned meagre amount.

Grandmother Jayshree, who worked at a bar, looked after Pooja and his brother after their parents deserted them. While her mother married elsewhere, Pooja’s father too preferred to remain away from the family.

While Jeetendra was from Hudco colony, Pooja stayed with her brother Pawan and grandmother Jayashree at Angolimal Nagar. Pooja had left home on Saturday morning after her grandmother scolded her for ignoring work. She had gone to her cousin’s place at Wardhaman Nagar. On late Sunday night, Pooja left her cousin’s home.

Family members claimed that Pooja was stubborn by nature. She would also often return home late. “I do not know about any relation she may have had. All I knew that someone signaled her by honked while riding past our home,” said Jayashree.

A transparent fiber stick tied to the bike had initially triggered curiosity. It later came to fore that the stick belonged to Jeetendra’s relative who was attached to Sakkardara police station as driver.

Jeetendra, youngest of four siblings, apparently received a call from Pooja on his mobile at 10 pm. He was with his friends when the call came. Excusing himself, Jeetendra left the place apparently to meet Pooja. It is learnt he had gone to his place for filling his bike’s fuel tank.

Jeetendra’s eldest brother Yogesh said, “We were insisting that he return home as mother and sister were not well. He was delaying it on one pretext or another.” – Timesofindia