Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Shahryar Khan declared “chapter closed” in the Moin Khan ‘casino controversy’ after a formal apology from the chief selector on Tuesday.
Speaking to reporters in Lahore, Shahryar said the PCB investigation found nothing contrary to Moin’s statement that he had visited the casino in Christchurch, New Zealand, to have dinner with friends.
“He realises that it was inappropriate to have visited a casino ahead of Pakistan’s match against the West Indies. But he reiterated that he only had dinner over there and nothing else. He also admitted that, perhaps, a casino was not the right place to have dinner and has apologised. This chapter is now closed,” Shahryar said. The 43-year-old former wicketkeeper, whose presence with Pakistan’s World Cup squad was subject to severe criticism in the local media, will not be travelling back to Australia, Shahryar said.
Moin is also expected to keep his position as the chief selector despite calls for his removal after Pakistan’s poor show at the World Cup so far. Pakistan went down to India by 76-runs in their opening game before suffering a 150-run humiliation at the hands of the West Indies. Misbah-ul-Haq’s side then beat Zimbabwe in a tense finish on Sunday. Pakistan will take on UAE on March 4.