LONDON: Eight players involved in a match-fixing scandal at the Olympic badminton tournament have been disqualified, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) confirmed on Wednesday.
But the eight players — four from South Korea, two from Indonesia and two from China — are appealing the decision, the body said, confirming an earlier AFP report.The eight players who were found to be involved in fixing also lost theior appeal against their ban and will lose their right to compete in the 2016 Olympics in Rio – and the outcome of the appeal hearing.
8 disqualified over badminton fixing – source: Eight players involved in a fixing scandal at the Olympic badminton tournament have been disqualified, a senior source with knowledge of the case told AFP on Wednesday.The eight women’s doubles players — four from South Korea, two from Indonesia and two from China — were disqualified following a disciplinary hearing of the Badminton World Federation (BWF), the source told AFP. “They have been disqualified,” said the source. The eight are Chinese are top seed Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli, South Korea’s Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung as well as Jung Kyung-Eun and Kim Ha-Na as well as Indonesian pair Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii.
Expulsions applauded for badminton fixing: Olympic badminton officials and players cheered the Badminton World Federation decision on Wednesday to disqualify eight women involved in a match-fixing scandal. Chinese top seeds Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang, Indonesia’s Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari and South Korean duos Jung Kyung-Eun and Kim Ha-Na and Ha Jung Eun and Kim Min Jung were thrown out of the women’s doubles event. Angry spectators booed and jeered as China’s gold medal favourites swatted shuttlecocks beyond the boundaries and into the net and seemed to deliberately serve into the net, pairs wanting to lose to secure a better draw in the knockout rounds after a Chinese duo had been upset earlier. – PT