ISLAMABAD: Following are the highlights of Prime Minister, Muhammad Nawaz Sharif’s arrival and his speech he delivered in the National Assembly during budget session here on Monday.• Upon his arrival in the House, the Premier was given a standing ovation.
• Members of both treasury and opposition benches keenly listened to the Prime Minister and thumped desks as he took members into confidence on legal issues, facing General (Retd) Pervez Musharraf.
• The Prime Minister delivered a written speech in Urdu and also read in English the written reply of Attorney General which was submitted in Supreme Court.
• Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif gave an overview of 66 years long struggle of Pakistanis for democracy and narrated events and acts of Pervez Musharraf which come under high treason.
• He was of the view main cause of problems of Pakistan is deviation from Constitution. Dictator Pervez Musharraf abrogated the constitution because of his personal interest.
• Political leadership, political workers and all those kept believing in democracy were paid tributes by Prime Minister.
• Pakistan’s struggle for democracy is an example to follow for many other nations.
• The speech of Prime Minister was followed by speeches of Leader of Opposition, Syed Khursheed Shah, Deputy Parliamentary Leader of Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaf, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, President of Awami Muslim League (AML), Sheikh Rashid, Chief of Pakistan Muslim League (PML-Z) and other members.
• Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif remained in the House during their speeches. – APP