Balochistan govt seeks more time for extradition of accused

QUETTA: The Balochistan government has sought more time from the Balochistan High Court to contact the federal government for the extradition of former president General Pervez Musharraf and others nominated in the Nawab Bugti murder case.

Additional Advocate General Nasrullah Khan told the division bench comprising of Qazi Faez Isa and Justice Muhammad Hashim Kakar that the Balochistan government would write a letter to the federal government before August 2 for the extradition of the accused in the Bugti murder case.Jamal Akbar Bugti while talking to the media said that the provincial government was deliberately delaying the case because those political parties who backed the military action in Dera Bugti are still in the legislative assemblies and are a part of the provincial cabinet.

“The government is making fun of democracy and I have some expectations from judiciary that it will bring the culprits to book,” he said, adding that the government was not interested in taking action against the accused who are still living in Pakistan.Jamil Bugti’s lawyer, Hadi Shakil, alleged that the government wants to eliminate all evidence in order to shield the accused. “Government does not want to carry out investigation in this case,” he added.Former president Pervez Musharraf, former prime minister Shaukat Aziz, former governor [of Balochistan] Owais Ahmed Ghani and former chief minister Jam Yousaf have been accused in the case.

Earlier, the court expressed resentment over the lack of interest on the part of the government in carrying out the investigation. “If the provincial government does not want to investigate the Nawab Akbar Bugti murder case then it must inform the high court because the federal government has categorically said they would take steps for the extradition of accused if the provincial government would make a formal request. The provincial government has so far not bothered to write a letter to federal government,” the court observed.

During the hearing, Deputy Attorney General Malik Sikandar Khan apprised the court of the federal government’s readiness to contact Interpol for issuing warrants for General Pervez Musharraf and the others accused, but mentioned that so far the provincial government had not made any formal request to the federal government.The Balochistan Additional Advocate General Nasrullah Khan Achakzai sought more time for writing a letter to the federal government, which was granted by the Balochistan High Court.

He assured the court that the provincial government would contact the federal government by or before August 2 seeking the extradition of Pervez Musharraf and others who are accused.The bench adjourned the hearing of the petition till August 10. Arrest warrants for former Dera Bugti District Coordination Officer Samad Lasi have been issued in the Nawab Akbar Bugti murder case. – Dailytimes