Meeting reviews progress on implementation of Aghaz-i-Haqooq-i-Balochistan

ISLAMABAD: A high level meeting under the chair of Interior Minister Rehman Malik was held here Tuesday to review progress on implementation of Aghaz-i-Haqooq-i-Balochistan (AHB) package. A detailed presentation on AHB was given to the minister, said a press release issued here. The minister showed satisfaction over the significant developments and implemented proposals especially creation of 5000 new jobs in Balochistan, enhanced share of national resources for Balochistan, enhanced representation from Balochistan on Boards of Directors in OGDC, PPL and SSGCL, rationalization of royalty formula, uniform pricing/calculation of Gas Development Surcharge (GDS) and payment to government of Balochistan of arrears.Rehman also expressed satisfaction over releases to provincial government of Rs. 1 billion each for flood victims and resettlement of IDPs in Dera Bugti, stopping of cantonments’ construction at Sui and Kohlu, development projects launched at Gawadar and constitutional rights conferred through the 18th Amendment.The meeting observed that almost half of the 61 AHB proposals had been implemented.Rehman Malik showed his concern on pending issues and shared a broader vision for addressing the administrative problems and development gaps in Balochistan.He Informed that next meetings on  the subject will be held at Gawadar and Quetta respectively.The Minister was for a dialogue with all political parties whether inside or outside the government.He openly invited those people who had taken themselves into the mountains to return into the mainstream and enjoy the benefits of development in Balochistan.Rehman Malik said that he intended to invite all operating companies and prospective investors  for Balochistan, including representatives of chamber of commerce.He showed the Federal Government’s resolve and said that a commission will be proposed and constituted to investigate into the death of Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti with clear mandate and Terms of Reference (ToR) including the circumstances that led Nawab Akbar Bugti to leave his ancestral place;,the law and order situation prevailing at that time, cause of death of Nawab Akbar Bugti and remedial measures to avoid repitition of similar acts in future.

It was discussed that the Frontier Corps (FC) will take over at Sui from Pakistan Army in next two months.The Minister called for a broader vision for administrative problems in Balochistan especially those relating to FC, coast guards, police and levies force.
On the issue of enforced disappearances (Missing Persons), it was observed that the mandate of an earlier constituted commission had expired on December 31, 2010 while a number of missing persons remain to be traced.Therefore, it was decided that a new judicial commission will be soon constituted with long term mandate of resolving missing persons’ cases.The forum observed that the pace of work on AHB proposals, especially those relating to development projects, had to be expedited and that all concerned ministries/divisions/offices will be called for a detailed overview on respective subjects/projects.The Minister urged all educational/professional institutions of Pakistan to relax and enhance the admission quota for students from Balochistan.He also committed to approaching the Prime Minister for ensuring award of 600 scholarships, suspended by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) due to paucity of funds to the students from Balochistan.He showed serious concern over slow progress of various ministries, divisions and organizations in Recruitment/Appointments on the Federal Government posts lying vacant against Balochistan’s quota.A four weeks deadline was given to the offices concerned to ensure recruitment.The meeting was attended by federal secretaries for Interior and Establishment along with senior officers – APP