NATO says a series of bomb blasts and insurgent attacks in southern and eastern Afghanistan killed seven of its service members Sunday. NATO said two of its troops were killed in separate bomb blasts in the south and five more died during insurgent attacks in eastern Afghanistan.
In southern Kandahar province, a motorcycle bomb killed two civilians and wounded 11, while a blast in the northeastern city of Jalalabad killed one person and wounded nine others.
Also Sunday, suspected militants torched a convoy of 12 fuel tankers destined for NATO forces in northeastern Nangarhar province. Provincial officials said no one was killed in the attack.
Meanwhile, Afghan officials said the country’s former ambassador-designate to Pakistan, abducted two years ago by gunmen in northwestern Pakistan, had been released. The office of Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Abdul Khaliq Farahi was handed over to authorities in eastern Khost province late Saturday following a joint effort by the Afghan and Pakistani governments and tribal leaders. He is reportedly in good condition.
It is not yet clear who was behind Farahi’s abduction and if a ransom was paid to secure his release – Voanews