- Phenomenal 1QFY11 results: While headline 1QFY11 EPS at PKR0.16 was a disappointment, details revealed 1Q revenues would have been PKR580mn (PKR1.64/share) higher as per revised tariffs. Adjusting the incremental revenues for share of 4QFY10 (in which plant was operational for 22 days) yields 1QFY11 EPS at PKR1.48.
- Operational savings evident: 1QFY11 earnings (based on revised tariff) at PKR1.48/share, was more than 3.5x higher than IRR implied quarterly EPS of PKR0.42, suggesting substantial operational savings. We estimate that 1QFY11 fuel savings clocked in at 5.3gms/kwh, whereas actual O&M expense was 81% lower than the amount allowed as per tariff. We now conservatively factor in efficiency savings of 5gm/kwh (3.5gms/kwh from FY12 onwards) and O&M savings at 50%.
- Higher operational savings to offset downward revision in debt component: Nepra re notified NPL’s tariff on Oct 15, 2010 lowering its debt component by 11.2%. However, we estimate operational savings to more than offset the impact of downward revision in debt component. We thus raise our FY11-13 EPS by 41-56% and DPS by 52-77%.
- PT revised up to PKR20/share… Incorporating operational savings and reduction in debt component of tariff, we have revised our December-11 PT upwards to PKR20/share. We now assume an equity risk premium of 9% for NPL, 1.5x our market risk premium. At current levels, the scrip offers an upside potential of 24%, FY11E dividend yield of 24% and a USD IRR of 24% over the life of the project. BUY!
- But we don’t rule out risk of adverse tariff adjustments in future: Our base case estimates of operational savings suggest that NPL would yield project USD IRR of 27% to sponsors (which further rises to 35% as per savings reflected in 1Q accounts), much higher than policy IRR of 15% for these projects. We hence foresee high risk of reduction in cost components of the tariff structure in the future.
We will be releasing short report soon.
Economic & Political News
Used cars: Uncertainty remains over reduction in age limit for imports
Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani was quoted by a small section of media as saying that the government wanted to withdraw its earlier decision allowing import of five-year-old cars. The government has not issued any notification revoking its earlier decision that increased the age limit for imported cars from three to five years. Uncertainty prevails because the government has abruptly withdrawn from its previous move.
The research analyst(s) denoted AC on the cover of this report, primarily involved in the preparation of this report, certifies that (1) the views expressed in this report accurately reflect his/her personal views about all of the subject companies/securities and (2) no part of his/her compensation was, is or will be directly or indirectly related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this report.
The report has been prepared by Elixir Securities Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd and is for information purpose only. The information and opinions contained herein have been compiled or arrived at based upon information obtained from sources, believed to be reliable and in good faith. Such information has not been independently verified and no guaranty, representation or warranty, expressed or implied is made as to its accuracy, completeness or correctness. All such information and opinions are subject to change without notice. Descriptions of any company or companies or their securities mentioned herein are not intended to be complete and this document is not, and should not be construed as, an offer, or solicitation of an offer, to buy or sell any securities or other financial instruments.
Research Dissemination Policy
Elixir Securities Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd. endeavors to make all reasonable efforts to disseminate research to all eligible clients in a timely manner through either physical or electronic distribution such as mail, fax and/or email. Nevertheless, not all clients may receive the material at the same time.
Company Specific Disclosures
Elixir Securities Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd. may, to the extent permissible by applicable law or regulation, use the above material, conclusions, research or analysis in which they are based before the material is disseminated to their customers. Elixir Securities Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd., their respective directors, officers, representatives, employees and/or related persons may have a long or short position in any of the securities or other financial instruments mentioned or issuers described herein at any time and may make a purchase and/or sale, or offer to make a purchase and/or sale of any such securities or other financial instruments from time to time in the open market or otherwise. Elixir Securities Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd. may make markets in securities or other financial instruments described in this publication, in securities of issuers described herein or in securities underlying or related to such securities. Elixir Securities Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd. may have recently underwritten the securities of an issuer mentioned herein.
Other Important Disclosures
Foreign currency denominated securities is subject to exchange rate fluctuations which could have an adverse effect on their value or price, or the income derived from them. In addition, investors in securities such as ADRs, the values of which are influenced by foreign currencies effectively assume currency risk. Foreign currency denominated securities is subject to exchange rate fluctuations which could have an adverse effect on their value or price, or the income derived from them. In addition, investors in securities such as ADRs, the values of which are influenced by foreign currencies effectively assume currency risk.